Emotional abuse is any nonphysical behavior or attitude that controls, intimidates, subjugates, demeans, punishes or isolates another person by using degradation, humiliation or fear. Yelling, screaming, and name calling are all forms of emotional abuse, as are more subtle tactics such as refusing to be pleased with anything, isolating an individual from family and friends and invalidating another's thoughts and feelings.
Examples of emotionally abusive behaviors include:
* Humiliating and degrading
* Discounting, distorting and negating
* Accusing and blaming
* Withholding affection and emotional support
* Withholding financial resources
* Dismissive, disapproving contemptuous looks, comments or behavior
* Giving the "silent treatment"
* Threatening harm to an individual's pets, possessions or person
The effects of emotional abuse are often debilitating. They include depression, confusion, difficulty concentrating and making decisions, overwhelming feelings of worthlessness, hopelessness and poor physical health.
It's important to distinguish between emotional abuse and an occasional outburst of anger. Everyone has a bad day once in a while and responds with a harsh or negative word. Emotional abuse is an ongoing pattern of behavior designed to control, manipulate and subjugate another that usually occurs behind closed doors.
Emotional abuse is wrong!
Read and learn how to be free from it.
Abuse is Always Wrong!
We are all made in the image of God,
No one has the right to abuse the image