Traits common in the abusive personality:
- Intense fear of abandonment.
An alcoholic background involving physical, emotional, sexual abuse or abandonment.
Unrealistic expectations of a relationship. (To "fix" them or solve their problems.)
- Isolation and antisocial temperament.
- Recklessness. (dangerous sexual behavior, reckless driving, drug use etc.)
- Inability to accept responsibility for his behavior, even in the face of dire consequences.
- Cruelty to children / animals.
- Codependent personality disorder and / or Love addiction.
- Inability to respect interpersonal boundaries, a compulsion to violate boundaries.
- Drug or Alcohol Dependence, self medication.
- Emotional volatility - fear of being "out of control".
- Need for power and control to compensate for the above.
- Abuse generally escalates when the partner leaves.
- Personality Disorders of some abusers:
Antisocial Personality Disorder
Borderline Personality Disorder
Narcissistic Personality Disorder
These books will help you answer those nagging questions National Abuse Hotline
about the abuser in your life. Abuse is Always Wrong!
Abuse is Always Wrong!